Make a Disaster Plan for Your Pets
Does your family have a basic pet disaster kit? If not it should include:
- Food and water for at least five to seven days for each pet, bowls, and manual can opener. People need at least one gallon of water per person per day. While your pet may not need that much, keep an extra gallon on hand to use if your pet has been exposed to chemicals or flood waters and needs to be rinsed.
- Medications and medical records stored in waterproof containers and a first-aid kit. A pet first-aid book is also a good idea.
- Cat litter box, litter, litter scoop, and garbage bags to collect all your pets’ waste.
leashes,harnesses, and carriers to transport pets safely and to ensure that they cannot escape. Make sure that your cat or dog is wearing a collar and identification that is up-to-date and visible at all times. Carriers should be large enough to allow your pet to stand comfortably, turn around, stretch, and lie down. (Your pet may have to stay in the carrier for hours at a time.) Be sure to have a secure cage with no loose objects inside it to accommodate smaller pets – who may also need blankets or towels for bedding and warmth as well as special items, depending on their species.
- Current photos of you with your pets and descriptions of your pets to help others identify them in case you become separated – and to prove that they are yours once reunited.
- Written information about your pets’ feeding schedules, medical conditions, and behavior considerations along with the name and number of your veterinarian.
- Other useful items include Newspapers, Paper towels, Plastic Trash bags, Grooming items/baby or cleaning wipes, Plastic cleaning gloves.
- Information was provided by the Humane Society. You can visit them at humanesociety.org/disaster for more resources on staying safe during times of disaster. And remember – if it’s not safe for you, it’s not safe for your pets.
If you’re out-of-town and you get delayed for any reason don’t stress. Party Animals is here to help you. Just give us a call and we’ll take care of your pets for as long as you need us to!